Old November 8th 05, 02:52 PM
Mike Rapoport

Default Why does a prop ice up so apparently readily?

"Peter" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote

These two things combined with the fact that the
prop has a high collection efficiency because of its thin cross section

This I don't see - as it happens, the SOP for this turboprop when in
icing conditions is to go max revs, the reason being that the less the
AOA the less ice will be picked up. They also go 10-15-deg flaps for
the same reason - it reduces the wing AOA.

I donn't see the conflict between what I said and what you are saying. BTW
does the flight manual say that the reason for going to higher rpm is to
reduce AOA?

Mike
MU-2