Old September 26th 17, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:49:18 PM UTC+3, Pete wrote:
Food for thought/outrage/discussion:

We all use and benefit from airlines without a doubt. However, they are in the business of making money to fly. They are flying big jets with poor visibility at high speeds with autopilot on. It's usually the jet hitting the object, not the otherway around. I feel it's their responsibility to pay for and develop technology to avoid gliders, ultralites, drones and birds WHEN OUTSIDE THE MODE C VEIL or BELOW 18,000 FT.

The FAA will continue to put the vicegrip down on recreational flying until it can't be done without a glass cockpit and a $150,000 machine if we are the scape goat for any near misses.

Reality is the airlines are creating the issue and making the $$ while doing it, they need to figure out how to avoid everyone else more effectively..

Instead, the professionals are relegating the task to mere mortal "private" pilots running a weekend club in the sticks to make sure the airline's operations are safer.

What do you trust more? The professionally maintained 757 and crew or the shared club transponder with the guy that sort of knows how to use it?
Until the 757 has the technology for object avoidance, there is nothing safe enough because the weak leaks in the the current model's safety chain are too weak.

For example, if I had a huge bus that I liked to drive 500 mph on the highway and I made money from this bus and then called you to say that you needed to spend $2,500 of your money to prevent my huge bus from hitting your car on the highway because I can't see you all that well, I think you would say "slow down and/or pay for the accident avoidance technology yourself.

I'm not so sure. A shocking number of those airline pilots seem to have forgotten the most basic principles of flying.

Just one example:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a357/2156137/