Old September 1st 05, 01:51 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:29:39 -0400, Jim wrote:

Wondering if any of these are enroute to New Orleans? Seems they would
be ideal for getting survivors our of difficult areas.

Presumably among the ARG that left Norfolk today, there are LCACs. CNN
or AP reported that hovercraft are en route, but their reports are
notoriously inaccurate.

But the utility of LCACs in this situation is questionable....they are
big, and very dangerous for people to be around. They cannot operate
around flooded houses, highways, power lines, and trees without
destroying themselves. You cannot pick up people into an LCAC, you
would kill them with the fan blast and flying debris. Small boats are
undoubtedly the best way to get to the surivors.

LCACs would be useful for shuttling equipment, materials, supplies and
people from the ships offshore into the port of New Orleans.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,