Old April 9th 04, 10:38 PM
Michael

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote
1. Since there is no "NO PT" indicated on the chart, does that mean that
I am required to do a 180 deg turn when I reach NEPCO so I can track
outbound (201), then do a PT, then come back? That seems a little odd
to me.

Technically yes, you are required to do this. If there's no RADAR,
who is going to know if you do or not?

2. If so, and I am assuming it is, should I have positioned myself to
approach NEPCO at an intercept that did not require a 180 deg turn to
get to the outbound course? Maybe come at it from the east?

Not really. Your cleared route is direct NEPCO, so that's what you're
expected to do.

3. Suppose that when I reach NEPCO (IAF), I am below the cloud deck.
Assume that I have switched over to unicom frequency at that point. Is
it permissible to abort the IFR approach and turn inbound for a visual
approach. Presumably, you would have to ask ATC permission to do this.

Right. Or simply cancel IFR.

What if you can not raise ATC on the radio?

Then you have a comm failure in VFR conditions, right? So continue
under VFR and land as soon as practicable as per 91.185(b).

Yes, I know I'm stretching the meaning of the reg, but realistically
that's what makes sense.

Michael