Old July 2nd 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default What a sight...and what a sound

We had the EAA B-17 on our field all weekend, with perfect weather (high
70's, no clouds, and no humidity). They gave over 400 rides, and had between
6 and 7,000 tours of the plane- a great turnout.

There were a bunch of T-6's, a T-33, as well as a P-51 on static display.
At one time there were well over 100 people in line to go inside the B-17.

The only downside was that some of the EAA volunteers were on a little power
trip. I rode my bicycle down from my hangar to the ramp, and upon returning
got yelled at by some guy: "where are YOU going?" I told him I was returning
to my hangar, if that was OK with him. He didn't say a word, and I kept on
going- not a great representative.

Yes, everyone's a volunteer, and they were there to protect the ramp and
prevent runway incursions, but some instruction in being polite and
courteous would have gone a long way. They were there to also promote
aviation and generate interest, and a couple of guys who were on a power
trip doesn't foster that attitude. All of the other volunteers were great,
thanking people for coming and when they left, helping people into and out
of the plane, etc.

Anyway, it was a great day to promote aviation and see a piece of history.
Hopefully out of the 6-7,000 we will see some new student pilots.