View Single Post
Old December 11th 13, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:19:07 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Maybe someone should develop a device like the MRX PCAS which detects

transponders and includes azimuth in addition to range and elevation.

Hmm, that's exactly what PowerFlarm does with ADS-B/mode S targets. Which are becoming more and more common, and includes pretty much all fast movers and advanced GA planes. Plus PF gives you the same data as an MRX (I have both - now use the MRX for towplanes and club gliders). And you get really good (as in Link-16 good) glider to glider cooperative data.

So lets see - I believe you have a transponder in your glider (about $2k) and a MRX $500 and I assume a parachute (about $2k). So you see the risk is airliners (transponder for TCAS), lightplanes (MRX), and something that will make you need to make a nylon letdown. But by your own statistics, the PowerFLARM is more useful than the parachute, replaces the MRX, and lets you see airliners BEFORE they run you down or have to maneuver around you ("Hey, FSDO, get that clown in the glider out of our approach path!"

To me it's a no-brainer. Where I fly, the transponder provides the least protection, so I haven't yet tried to squeeze one into my '6. But having experienced the SA that the PF provides in a glider-rich environment, and the SA it gives on nearby power traffic, I don't like flying without it anymore!

Of course, we all have to make decisions based on our perceived risk - but i find your dismissal of PF a bit perplexing, especially since you use the much more limited MRX and count on your xponder to keep from getting run over by a fast mover!

Oh, yeah, see and avoid. Right. How about BIG SKY theory - that's really what keeps the midairs down to a tolerable level in the US. In France they finally realized that they no longer have the luxury of a big sky, and now FLARM is mandated for all gliders.

Not so dumb, those cheese-eating surrender monkeys!

Kirk

OT, I just spent 9 months working in France. Sure was nice being in a civilized, modern country. Coming back to St Louis was like being sent off to a third world country! But hey, at least we have more cable channels!