Old December 11th 13, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Ok, lets get real here. This sounds like a nice little club project, and if the intent is to have all the club gliders equipped (as opposed to none with Flarm) then it has some value.

However, in the big scheme of things, it would have to be orders of magnitude less expensive and better performing to be able to overcome Flarm's lead (see France, Australia, etc.). And let's face it - most glider pilots are not going to cobble together a piece of kit like that - we'll pay extra for the fancy bells and whistles!

Let's take another example: I'm sure we can come up with a less expensive, better quality radio communications system to replace the old VHF system we now use for aircraft/ATC communications. But until everybody has a compatible system, you can only talk to the others who have the same system - so is your new system that much better? So we are stuck with an archaic AM radio system that you have to have, and it's good enough.

Now, what would be nice is an inexpensive ADS-B "out" box that would let gliders broadcast their position into the ADS-B "system" without needing a full up UAT/Mode S/WAAS IFR certified GPS setup. One of those, plus a PowerFLARM, would be a really nice setup.

Kirk
66