Old May 5th 18, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

Airliners are "Cleared visual approach, contact the tower" all the time,
though they don't "Cancel IFR".

On 5/5/2018 10:20 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I was in San Diego that day, about 5 miles from the crash site. I will never forgot the loud boom of the 727 hitting the ground and blowing up! It could be heard throughout the city! It was a much simpler time but the FAA did order substantial changes after that event. One change was airlines could no longer cancel IFR and fly a visual approach. If a glider and airliner meet today, one could expect much tighter regulations on gliders.

Back in the 1990's and 2000's when gliders pilots out of Minden would brag about busting Class A space. I tried to get Larry Sanders to address this issue, even had a personal meeting with him at Baron Hilton's ranch, but Larry refused with the comment it is a big sky. Thank goodness for wide adoption of transponders!

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 8:55:15 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
On Monday, 25 Sep, 1978, a B-727 crashed in San Diego following a
collision with a Cessna 172.Â* To my knowledge 172s are still flying.

On 5/4/2018 8:27 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

snips
No one is listening to our "safety blather", but the first mid-air
between a glider and a commercial jet will definitely curtail our sport.

--
Dan, 5J

--
Dan, 5J