Old May 6th 18, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On Sat, 05 May 2018 16:53:25 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

IIRC, there was another light plane in the pattern and the airline crew
saw it and called "Tally ho".Â* I don't recall all of the communications,
but I'd bet that the tower then said, "Maintain visual separation" and
everyone got complacent.

Yes, I've just read the Wikipedia report on this crash and the third
aircraft is mentioned in that.

BTW, describes the 727 as hitting the Cessna, rather than the other way
round and also that the Cessna altered course by 20 degrees (070 to 090)
without getting an instruction or reporting it. Apparently the NTSB
report suggested that the collision may not have happened without that.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org