Old September 14th 04, 06:24 PM
Maik

Jerry Kaidor wrote:

Maik wrote in message ...

You can use also the KI206 and the KI209A without problems. (GPS and
VOR/LOC/GS)

But the GI106A is the nicer and newer unit with integrated annunciators.

You can also use the KI204 and others but only for the VOR/LOC/GS part.
NOT for GPS indication!

*** Not true. A galvanometer-type indicator, such as a KI206, will
work for VOR/LOC/GS and GPS on these units. No switch box is needed.

That is what I wrote.

I installed a GNS430 in my certificated airplane, got all the
paperwork signed off by the FSDO, my IA, and a local avionics Repair
Station. All that was required besides the 430 and the indicator (
KNI-520 ) was a "MSG" light,
mounted on the panel next to the indicator.

The indicator doesn't know the difference between VOR/LOC and GPS
drive
from the radio - it's the same voltages. Only the source is switched,
INSIDE THE RADIO. Garmin avoided the need for an external VOR/GPS
annunciator by putting the annunciation - on the display - right above
the switch that selects the source.

Still, it's awful nice to have some sort of VOR/GPS annunciation
right next to the indicator. Otherwise, it's really REALLY easy to
fly off into the sunset, navigating on the wrong system, having
forgotten to check what my DE - at the instrument checkride - called
the "Killme switch" on the 430.

- Jerry Kaidor ( )