Old December 3rd 17, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 8:58:27 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Perhaps the Schleicher dealer in the US.

On 12/3/2017 8:44 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:35:33 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 7:38:05 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I am looking for a source for bungee material for my landing gear and engine bay doors (ASH-26E). The original (German-sourced?) bungee is about 5 mm diameter and stretches to about twice the rested length. The 3/16 inch USA-sourced material I have been able to find (McMaster-Carr, etc.) doesn't stretch quite as much, about 75% rested length. Since the adjustment on the '26's engine bay doors is quite critical, I really would like to find the original (German-sourced?) bungee material with more stretch. Anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks,
Jim
Thanks, guys, good input....

No joy on Amazon (searching from the USA), but I'll keep checking.

I have an eBay purchase on the way, from China, real cheap. The best "specifications" I can find are comments like "100% stretch" and "Capable of stretching under load to about twice it's untensioned length". I am not real confident of getting decent quality, life, or performance, we'll see what I get. Here are two links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112044223163
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322860613155

I did find a German eBay supplier, but they are out of stock on 5 mm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bungee-Cord...1N1H KIs7sdsA

I've checked Aircraft Spruce also, "shock cord", but they don't stock 5 mm (3/16 inch). Their material is MIL-C-5651D spec'ed, greater than 100% elongation, so that is good. If I don't like the 5 mm stuff I get from eBay, I might try their 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch material.

But the best would be to find the original (German-sourced?) material..... This may be it:

https://www.schnurhaus-onlineshop.de...5-GL-PESGw-020

But 20 meters is way more than I need, and they want 30 Euros to ship Germany to USA.

We'll see what I get from China. But I still would like to get a meter or two of the original stuff if I can.

Cheers,
Jim

Source for 3/16 inch MIL-C-5651D Type 1 shock cord, 500 ft rolls, that's a lot of gear doors, haha!

http://www.theecwcorp.com/braided-el...e-i-p-317.html

Cheers,
Jim

--
Dan, 5J

Many hiking / climbing / outdoor stores will carry bungee cord in bulk. If you're in the US, try REI, or one of the big box stores with lots of guns and dead animals in it. ;-)

Craig
7Q