Old January 6th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Filing direct with GPS

DL wrote:
Last week, both Ft. Worth and Houston centers said "radar contact lost,
report X miles from Y" while I was cleared direct (not on airways) with /G
equipment - in Texas, going west into large headwinds at 4000.

That's how Salt Lake does it also. It's common to get direct and lose
radar coverage for a portion of the flight. As long as you're above the
controllers MIA you're good to go.

I'm sure YMMV in other parts of the country, but from this I learned: 1)
file that way and 2) even if radar contact lost, sometimes they won't send
you directly to an airway.

An airway may not be anywhere near you're route of flight either, which
is the case here.