Old October 18th 05, 08:54 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Should a W&B list gross weight?

Ron Natalie wrote:

Well since the max weight or CG doesn't change (unless you're doing a
major modfication), just the empty weight, the equipment list with a ne
emtpy weight/moment would seem not to need to duplicate that information.

That's the conclusion to which I've been coming. I'd be more comfortable,
though, if I found something (ie. in part 43) which discussed what to do
when the maximum gross weight is altered. Since two of our club aircraft
have had such upgrades, it would just be more clear to me if I could see
the distinction drawn between modifications that do and do not alter gross
weight.

I'd also have liked to see some mechanism whereby a line was drawn for those
modifications which might or might not impact gross weight. Yes, it should
be obvious. But that uses common sense, and I fear the outcome should I
make the mistake of applying common sense to legal (esp. FAA {8^) matters.

- Andrew