Old May 14th 04, 10:25 PM

Gary Knutson wrote:

wrote:

I was stunned when I discovered that the B2B uses a vertically running
engine *despite* having at least three gearboxes. The Exec uses a
vertically running engine because it does not have a gearbox.

So, you're telling us that the Exec rotor runs at engine speed?

No, I didn't say that at all. The exec has no gearboxes at all. Not
even a tail rotor gearbox.

I have to say that I never realized that Lycoming even made a vertical
version of the O-360.

And, you are also telling us you've never seen a Bell 47 (not the ones
with the Franklin)?

I am saying that I have never seen under the covers of a Bell 47 so I
don't have a clue what's under there. Apparently helicopters with
vertical engines are more common than I thought. However, it still
seems kind of silly when there is a gearbox being used that could
easily convert the direction.

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm