Old March 10th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GPS Question

This article refers to the LDA/DME RWY 23 approach at EKO in Figure B.
I tried "flying" that approach on the Garmin 430 simulator and blew it
the first time because I was watching the distance readout on the
Garmin primary nav page (1st Nav page). I forgot that the unit
indicates distance to the next waypoint. After crossing the FAF, the
distance field on the nav page indicates the GPS distance to the next
waypoint (missed approach point here) rather than distance from the FAF
or the DME reference point.

What probably threw me off was that the AOPA article cautions readers
that while DME units will count DOWN to the missed approach point
(because the path is towards the DME reference point), GPS units will
count UP from the FAF. In contrast, the 430 counts DOWN to the next
waypoint (the missed approach point here). To count up from the FAF,
I'd probably have to hit OBS when approaching the FAF (though didn't
try it).

What procedure would other users of Garmin 430/530 units use with this
approach? Ideally, I'd want to see either the primary nav page or the
map page with distance shown from the DME reference point (so that I
don't have to do math in my head during the approach to calculate
distance from the FAF).