Old January 9th 17, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Glider Maintenance - Fuselage Rotisserie

Thanks all. In addition to the posts here, I got several private emails. Man, we have a lot of talented fabricators and engineers in our midst!

To summarize, it looks like there are 3 major designs:

- Steel (or plywood) hoops with an integrated cradle on casters. These have the advantage of infinite degrees of rotation. Potential cons are that there's a lot of "stuff" to store if you have a smaller shop (like we do). Also, the structure makes spraying challenging as there are a lot of impediments around the mid-section.
- A wood octo-hoop made from plywood which by definition has 8 predefined "stops". Similar to the first one but can be free standing.
- The hanging rig with a hoist and spreaders.

We've previously used a hoist and associated sawhorses to good effect. Looking back, I think if we'd spent a little more time on the rigging itself (including maybe a square-off spreader arrangement to give a bit more room to maneuver the spray gun) we might have been happier with that setup.

Anyway, thanks to the dozen or more folks who replied. I'll post the results of the final product when/if we get to it.

In the meantime, progress reports from the current club project (Grob Twin Astir fuselage refinish) are he https://www.facebook.com/aeroclubalbatross/

P3