Old March 22nd 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Will circular runways ever take off?

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 12:24:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:

This might be a good idea for auto towing. We have 2800 ft of straight runway at our gliderport. At 780 ft field elevation with a tow vehicle like a V-8 Chevy Suburban or a V-8 pickup truck, we can get a maximum of about 800ft AGL auto towing a 1-26, and maybe 475ft AGL auto towing a 2-33 with two people in it. Except for the problem of the wind causing a portion of the circle to be towing the glider downwind, a circular runway would seem to be a good way to extend the runway length indefinitely, and get more altitude for a given rope length.

I am envisioning the NTSB report now...