Old August 7th 17, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default FIRC recomendatons

Renewing a CFI-G.

The SSF Glider-specific Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) dates and venues are listed on the Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) website at www.soaringsafety.org

Most are conducted in winter and spring before the "season" starts in the non-sunbelt states. By the FAA, you are just a CFI. The "G" isn't technically part of your certificate which lists your aircraft category ratings, so you can attend any FIRC to renew your Flight Instructor Certificate.

In person FIRC's are much more interesting than online courses due to the synergy among your fellow CFI's in the classroom. Sometimes the discussions get "exciting!" Note that the FAA approves the FIRC "Training Course Outline" (TCO) therefore the FIRC presenters must cover specific FAA approved topics so usually the best discussions happen on the breaks and at lunch. The FAA also insists that you attend the full course so don't miss a minute of the two-day class.

FIRC's are for renewals. You cannot "reinstate" an expired Flight Instructor Certificate at a FIRC. If expired, you would need to travel to a FAA Examiner (current in gliders) or a FAA Designated Pilot Examiner who is authorized to conduct Glider Flight Instructor practical tests ("checkrides".) You can also reinstate an "ancient" (really old) expired Flight Instructor Certificate with a reinstatement checkride. If you have lost your old Flight Instructor Certificate you can request a letter from the FAA certifying that you once held that certificate.

Like the SSF FIRC, these checkrides also review any new FAA regulations and discuss the new teaching techniques or procedures suggested by the Soaring Safety Foundation, such as Scenario Based Training, Risk Management and the Goal Oriented Approach to the landing pattern.

Passing a checkride (or adding on) any one of your other aircraft categories will renew all ratings on your Flight Instructor Certificate. Note that the FAA never uses the term "License" for US pilots, only for foreign pilots -- go figure.

As I have posted here on r.a.s., all glider rating checkrides (PVT, COM, CFI) are FREE at my Marfa Gliders Soaring Center in southwest Texas. I can also conduct checkrides for foreign pilots wanting to obtain the US pilot certificate with glider rating.

All you need to do is fly to El Paso and make the scenic drive to the Davis Mountains near Big Bend National Park. Look at a map of Texas then contact me for more details and my availability for your free checkride. Marfa Gliders is open year-round, except when I am traveling or conducting Site Surveys for the Soaring Safety Foundation across the USA.

Burt Compton, FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa Gliders, southwest Texas
www.flygliders.com