Old October 7th 17, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default trick to avoid crosswind landing in late afternoon...

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 9:47:05 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 10/04/2017 07:52 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 4:32:02 PM UTC+3, Steve Koerner wrote:
Official sunset time would be perhaps a minute or two after the sun disappears behind distant mountains. Time it right and no lights are required. I imagine last thermals would end about then anyway.

No lights are required until 30 minutes after sunset.

30 minutes after sunset is what most states use for driving without
headlights.

I think technically you're legal to fly until the sun drops below the
horizon, if it weren't hidden by mountains.

Yes, but bear in mind that most contests require you to end your flight before sunset to avoid disqualifying the flight. This includes OLC!

As the weatherman in a few contests, I always include a contest official sunset time to avoid later arguments. Land after that and you're toast!

Here in Arizona, thermals will typically start decaying in late afternoon an hour or more before sunset and you won't often need to wait that long, but Steve's suggestion is valid.

Mike