Old April 2nd 18, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

This whole thread is a pretty good discussion of the relevant factors.
I've thought about reviving SoaringRx now that I've retired, and the cognitive degradation during stress is petty complicated and interesting.
Like most other causes of inadvertent stupidity, the pilot never has the situation figured out initially.
The heart rate is seldom noticed, is not directly a cause, and is never a clue to the resolution of the crisis.
I agree that training for emergencies, both planned (and, after competence with those) unplanned, will contribute greatly to safety.
In this regard, we simply do not fly often enough.
If I ruled the soaring world, everyone would do about a dozen ground launches to a low pattern once a month or so, to get really used to the way things look down there, get used to a low approach, and to build sick-and-rudder skills. A dozen four-hour flights a year feel good -- but that's only a dozen landings.
Time, cost, and availability of equipment and instructors are all hindrances.
DrDan