Old July 7th 03, 09:02 AM
Neil Trotter

In article Xk5Oa.122802$R73.15111@sccrnsc04, Stephen Sentoff said:

Miami is on Eastern Standard Time, GMT-0500, during the winter and Eastern
Daylight, GMT-0400, during the summer. St Thomas is always on Atlantic
Standard Time, GMT-0400. So in the summer there's no time change.

Time zones combined with local observations (or not, as the case may be)
of daylight savings make for a pretty interesting patchwork of clocks
that seems to have completely baffled the FS project team hitherto.
Maybe they'll redeem themselves and get it right in FS2004 :-)

Some of the less taxing examples (though nonetheless confusing for the
casual airborne passer-through with no ground-based contact) are that
Arizona and Indiana do not currently observe daylight savings.

More interesting variations exist, for example in Newfoundland, where in
St John's the standard time zone is GMT-03:30, currently observing DST,
so GMT-02:30.

In December 2001, soon after FS2002 had been released, I made the
observation (in this newsgroup):

"... on takeoff from Auckland just now, I noticed FS seems to think
local time is GMT+11. In fact NZ time is GMT+12, and since it is summer
right now, daylight savings apply, so it is actually GMT+13."

Of course the above comment doesn't currently apply, but it did at the
time.

Especially for the MS FS project team, but for anyone who wishes to keep
a check on time zone settings around the world, or simply to improve
your understanding, pay a visit to:

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/aboutdst.html

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK