Old October 14th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ross

Default Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

BeechSundowner wrote:
On Oct 13, 11:47 am, Ross wrote:

I paid roughly $390.00 year for my KLN-89/B subscription. I downloaded
from the B-K sight and took my laptop to the airplane.

Just curious, as that price is rediculous. Did you feel you got your
"moneys" worth out of a $400.00 update per year? Or were you like me
that pretty much maintained currency by flying local approaches.
Ironically, with my 430, it doesn't have the minimums in the database,
so I still have to have my paper charts with me!

/snip/

Like I said from get go, I don't expect a free lunch since the
database must be maintained by whomever at the company so I expect to
pay something for the subscription or a one time update as I did, but
we are getting gouged like no other hobby / industry that I know of.
$300 is simply scalping.

For me I felt that it was worth it only because it was part of flying
and the associated costs. The /89/B is a far cry from what you have, but
it did the job for me. It was certified for en route, terminal, and
approach. I was never a hard IFR pilot. But I wanted up to date
database. I used to use Jepp paper charts, but they were expensive and
covered TX and the surrounding states. More area than I would ever fly
and updating the manuals was a pain. I switched to NACO charts and only
had North TX and OK/AR where I usually flew. And they sent me a whole
new set each time. I ordered though Sportys (always hoping that all my
purchases would win one of their airplane give aways). I knew people
that would only print the free charts off the internet and fly. But,
what happens if you land somewhere you do not have a chart? ATC can read
one out to you and you can construct it on a piece of paper, but I would
not want to try to do that and fly - no auto pilot in the plane I had.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP