Old September 18th 18, 08:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:58:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:

1. What is the average ground speed of a Glider flight?

While circling in a thermal - essentially zero toward your landing place. In cruise flight on a thermal flying day in NJ - approximately 50 mph.

Take a look at this link for a NJ thermal flight by a gal
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=6828340

and this link for a NJ ridge flying flight by a top young NJ pilot
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=6168501

2. Can Gliders take off and land at any airport/airfield...or are there known designated airports?

Legally yes. Practically - we band together at a less busy country airfield to not interfere with "air commerce". Self launching motorgliders can integrate at any airfield. You can find local clubs and schools via www.ssa.org. Also check out the Women Soaring Pilots Association for mentoring, scholarships, and local contacts. http://www.womensoaring.org/

3. Regarding the thermal updrafts: Does this mean that Gliding is a seasonal sport and therefore flying in the Winter is more difficult (or impossible)?

Possible year around. Learn anytime. (Just don't get frostbite. You are in NJ and I am told they have winter.)

4. Any tips on finding a school to begin lessons?

If you don't enjoy the first club or teacher, find another one.
Or come see me for a week of training camp . . . .

Thanks again for your time.
Ed

And contact me anytime directly for any questions. Happy to help.
I always want to get another young lady soaring.

Cindy B
north of Los Angeles by an hour.
www.caracole-soaring.com