Old October 15th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's instrument approaches - Video

Yesterday's instrument approach workout and it was a mental workout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RChXbsb-gUc

ILS approaches over at HKS Hawkins Jackson MS and VOR Alpha back to
Madison.

True workout which I only made it on top of the overcast for a
blissful 30 seconds and the entire flight other then take off and
landing was in solid IMC.

Amazing when a little light turbulence is tossed in how much it adds
to the workload.

Winds at 2000 feet were running 20 knots, and on the surface was
running 5 to 10 knots, which made for harder tracking of the
localizer. I really can appreciate that need to be knocking out
approaches once a week as it had been three weeks since I had done
approaches and I really felt rusty. Again could have been conditions
upping the anti while IMC but I was really whipped mentally.

The approaches once I broke out in VMC, I went visual and didn't
maintain glide slope down to the middle marker, as I needed the
"break" of scanning at the gauges, so yes, my approaches will be below
VASI / PAPI indications once I knew I had the runway made.

I included times "edited out" so one can get a feel how much in gaps I
cut out which in the full scheme of things wasn't that long on my
descents..