Old April 3rd 04, 03:33 AM
Phil Miller

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:43:06 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Felger Carbon" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , John Cook
wrote:

Just the official reports!!, Lockheed has only purchased enough
processors for 155 F-22's because there out of production, the

demand
for Air to ground operations has increased the demand on

processing
power, something the original processors are not quite upto hence

the
_need_ for the 'upgrade'.

So the processors are obsolete, (too old)... the Avionic

architecture
needs to be replaced before the F-22 can become the F/A-22 because

the
present system is based on the old processors and rewriting the

code
is pointless on an obsolete system, that would only support half

of
the F-22 fleet

Methinks there's some confusion there between processors, avionics
architecture, and software.
While it's true that Intel tried to shut down i960 production

causing a
chinese fire drill, there are enough assets to get by until a new

processor is
ready.

Full disclosu I'm a retired electrical engineer. I specialized in
high-end embedded microprocessors, which the "i960" in the F-22 is. I
know nothing about designing aircraft. I do know a little about the
Intel processor at the heart of the F-22:

The i960MX was designed by Intel specifically and solely for the F-22.

Nope, the i960 is a processor designed to control printers.

http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-04-391

"The F/A-22 is dependent on its onboard computers and software to
perform its mission. Unlike other fighter aircraft, it has a highly
advanced,integrated avionics system capable of detecting, identifying,
and engaging the enemy at ranges beyond a pilot’s vision. The key to the
F/A-22 avionics lies in its fully integrated core architecture and its
two central, networked computers called common integrated processors
(CIP).CIPs use very high-speed integrated circuits to collect, process,
and integrate data and signals from the aircraft’s sensors. CIP serves
as the “brains” for the F/A-22’s integrated avionics system and is
unique to this aircraft.

The primary processor in CIP is the Intel i960MX microprocessor,which is
used strictly for avionics processing. This microprocessor is based on
1990’s technology and has a 32-bit processor that operates at speeds of
25mhz." etc.

Caught bull****ting again Splappy?

Phil
--
Great Tarverisms #3

No, a flap makes the wing thicker and thereby
creates more bernoulli lift.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

rec.aviation.military