View Single Post
Old December 11th 13, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linar Yusupov
external usenet poster

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Compatibility with other devices of similar purpose can be acheived with at least three different ways:
1) alternative device can be pluged-in into spare USB hub slot through USB-RS232 adapter. A software converter of NMEA messages will translate PFLAU/PFLAA traffic alert messages into the input format of the device developed by topic-starter. But this is "read-only", one-way method;
2) second way is reverese-engineering of radio protocol. That was already done before (in 2008) and where published in this newsgroup followed by reaction of manufacturer.
See this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...s/KOoAiKhERhUJ
3) to purchase a license or invite a current licensee to contribute compatibility into this open project;

Any of above can be done then contributed by volunteer who wants to add the compatibility into this project.

Our club's fleet is about 40+ sailplanes and 5 tow planes. Only three of these aircrafts currently carry onboard a Flarm device. Owners are typically keep them switched off because it makes little sense to drawn battery power when majority of traffic is not equipped with Flarm.

For me, personally, I have no plans to spend my own time to develop compatibility with Flarm. ADS-B is comming soon. So any other devices will leave from market within next few years unless they will switch onto ADS-B standard.
Thus operation on ADS-B is the way where the project should go.

2-way ADS-B USB plug-in for this device is a module that worth to be developed within next couple years.