Old March 3rd 05, 01:37 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Homesick Angel wrote:
: Dear Ron,
: Thought of climbing real high, pulling the red knob til it quits, and
: gliding (best glide 85 estimated because my ) and see how far I get,
: and then restarting and trying it again. Still haven't gotten enough
: courage up to try that one yet, and hopefully never will. Some day when
: I head out for Alaska I might have to try that stunt to come up with
: enough gas to make it.

My original flight instructor for my PPL had me do that on about my 5th
flight. Climbed high over the airport, he killed the mixture, and had me pull it up
into almost a stall to get the prop to stop. This was to prove that it won't come out
of the air if the engine quits. Free flying time too, he pointed out, since the Hobbs
meter stopped running. Eerily quiet.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *