Old July 10th 03, 03:00 AM
David Megginson

Andrew Gideon writes:

Laugh It took me a while to figure out what you meant by this. My
mental picture of the process is sufficiently different from yours
that I'd no idea from where you were getting the number 45. It
finally dawned on me that you're flying a 45 degree intercept to the
inbound course.

Sorry -- I was assuming the standard, hockey-stick procedure turn, and
should have said that.

For this reason, why not a 30 degree intercept to a localizer? It
slows the needle.

Sure, that would work fine, and would have the advantage of giving me
a longer final. I use 45 only because I can read the headings
straight off the procedure-turn diagrams on the approach plates, so I
don't have to think too much. I love aviation-arithmetic problems
sitting here at my desk, but my head gets a little mushy in the plane
sometimes.

All the best,

David

--