Old February 14th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default cylinder replacement

In article , wrote:

[snip]
Anyway, my question to the other airplane owners out there -- which of the
three options A, B, or C would you choose? In generally, my philosophy has
been to avoid using "used" parts when at all possible, but of course these
are very expensive parts. Unfortunately I have no budget saved up for
this, so cost is a major factor to me.

how much time on each cylinder?

(if you have a 150hp cherokee, then I'd overhaul the engine and upgrade
it to 160hp).

I personally would opt for new cylinders.

I'm probably looking at owning the airplane for another 400-500 hours
maximum. Thus when I go to sell, the ad would read something like "1250
SMOH 400 STOH". Is the top-overhaul a selling point? Is the buyer going to
care significantly whether I use new cylinders or used/reconditioned?

To me, "STOH" is completely meaningless. 1250 SMOH would be the driving
factor. However, I would be very doubtful of used/reconditioned cylinders.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the