Old February 15th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default cylinder replacement

If you REALLY plan on offing the bird in 400-500 hours, you may get away
with overhauls. But, if I were on the "receiving" (buying) end, I would
give you zip for overhauled cylinders and consider the engine a runout.

My bird got .010 oversized "first run" overhauls 800 hours ago from a
"big name" shop. I am about to replace the THIRD cylinder. How much did
I save??? (answer: nothing).

Some say they get good service from overhauls. Other say they are junk.

I don't understand how you get from approx $3700 to $7000 on a set of
Superiors.

Your wrench may charge you 20 hours for the swap. Even at $100/hour you
should not break $6k total.

Keep asking questions.

Good Luck,
Mike

This leaves me with three options:

A) Replace all four cylinders with new at a cost of $1500 each. Times four
that is $6000.

B) Replace all four cylinders with "used" (reconditioned?) at a cost of
$900 each. Total of $3700.

C) Replace only the bad one and get the three remaining good ones
rechromed and/or repaired. I don't know what the rechroming/repair fee
will be on the other three yet, so that option is unknown. I'm supposed to
hear back from the shop by tomorrow with an estimate.