Old June 18th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default Should I upgrade from Skylane to Cirrus SR20?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:45:15 GMT, "Marc CYBW"
wrote:

Hi group,

Good arguments for skipping the SR20 so far, but......

..... one of the other fractional owners in our group looked at the
possibility of a few of us buying one of the 182s (as opposed to the club
rental beater) and suggested the following reasons for upgrading:

- the big red handle on the SR20
- the fun and challenge of flying a technologically current plane
- the flexibility of availability of 16 people in 2 planes vs. (say) 6 in
one plane (the 182 shared among 6)
- the upcoming engine overhaul on the 182
- laying off the risk of repairs, etc on the fractional operator
- the red carpet treatment of fractional ownership (scheduling, ramp
service, etc.)
- the big red handle (did I mention that?)
- the fun of a new airplane (did I mention that)
- the O2 system for mountain flying
- the big red handle when you're over the Rockies at 15,000 ft.(did I
mention that)
- the hassles of setting up a limited corporation to (maybe) limit our
liability

So, for an increase of about 50% in cost for a 50 hr year, he suggests we
go for it.

50%?

Around here it'd be 300 to 500% when the entire cost of the fractional
ownership is taken into account. Just the hourly rates are well over
double that of a 182 unless you are talking a 182 RG. Add to that a
very large chunk of change for buying in plus the tremendous amount of
training you will need from Cirrus to maintain currency.

Seems logical so far.

Comments?

Marc