Old March 25th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

"Mike Murdock" wrote:
I know Daniel Cheung personally, and he is a straight shooter. The
facts are as stated. The ONLY reason the Meridian owner was charged
with the tax was that he had it at a Florida airport for a few days
while he was there for training. He didn't buy the plane in Florida,
was never a Florida resident, and didn't have any business interests
in Florida.

Someone mentioned that the _one_ identified incident involved an
aircraft that was allegedly a Meridian - I presume they meant a Piper
Meridian - is that correct?

If that is the case, isn't it true that Piper is based in Florida and
its tax "nexus" is therefore Florida?

Was the seller Piper or some other Florida entity for the purposes of
sales tax or not? If not, what state did the seller reside in for sales
tax purposes?

Also, I notice that on Aviation Tax Consultants web page (Danial
Cheung's firm; http://www.aviationtaxconsultants.com/index.html) there
is one article that mentions an incident in Florida that happened in
August 2007:

http://www.aviationtaxconsultants.co...Aug%202007.pdf

If this is the same incident, why is it being brought up 7 months later?

I suppose I could contact Daniel Cheung directly, but am hoping you can
supply an answer since you seem to have the information at hand and I
presume he is unfamiliar with Usenet.