Old December 13th 03, 06:40 PM
Matt Wiser

"Mycroft" david wrote:
Look up the projected losses on both sides that
an invasion of Japan would
have caused then tell me how in-humane the A
bomb was. Plus you forgot to
mention that the fire bombing of Axis cities
caused losses in some cases
greater than both A bombs, war is hell but in
the pacific the A bomb ended
it.

Myc

MacArthur estimated about 70,000 casualties for Kyushu. Given the firepower
the U.S. and British (British Pacific Fleet and RAF) had, the invasion of
Kyushu would have succeeded, but if the bomb doesn't work, or there are production
problems, the invasion HAS TO GO. I'd rather risk the lives of 7 B-29 crews
on the Hiroshima strike than the lives of 766,000 men in U.S. 6th Army, plus
the Navy's 3rd, 5th, and 7th Fleets in the Kyushu invasion. Truman made the
right decision based on the information HE HAD AT THE TIME. It was a quick
and brutal means to end a long war, but it got the job done.

Posted via
www.My-Newsgroups.com - web to news gateway for usenet access!