Old May 24th 05, 04:30 PM
W P Dixon

Yep in Georgia my huge 83 Bronco was registered as "truck" , here in TN. my
big truck is registered as "truck", just costs alot less here due to
Georgia's ad valorem taxes. I don't know if the wannabe SUV's are
registered as trucks or cars however. I got specialty plates this year so I
think they costed all of 50 bucks or so.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Neil Gould wrote:

Perhaps, except that they get _licensed_ as cars, and thus avoid the
extra
taxable income that (theoretically) helps to offset the impact of trucks.

Perhaps this is true where you live. Many States, however, base the
license fees to some extent on gross weight; that is, the heavier the car
or truck, the more you pay. In New Jersey, the fee is based completely on
weight. When I lived in Georgia, about half of the fee was based on weight
and half on value. When I lived in Tennessee, all trucks (including
pickups and vans) had to get commercial tags, regardless of usage. I don't
know how they classify SUVs there, though.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't
got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.