Old November 7th 03, 07:28 PM
Mark James Boyd

Most pilots instinctively recover long before they can
tell the difference between a stall -- recovery -- spiral dive
scenario and a stall -- spin. This often causes confusion about which
is which.

I personally intentionally tried a spin entry once in a glass
glider and got a surprise and made an immediate spin recovery.

It seems the airspeed indicator rotates all the way around, so
80 knots indicated is the same as 20 knots indicated.

Imagine my surprise when the glider stalls, the nose drops,
and the ASI wobbles and then indicates ???
I tried it a few more times and by god could never
tell the difference, so I was too scared to do
anything but recover immediately (release the cross-controlled
inputs). Whichever it was, the glider sure picked up
speed like lightning when nose down.

I still wonder if this killed the Nimbus4DM pilots in Reno.
Imagine looking at the ASI and not knowing if
you should be doing a spin recovery or a spiral recovery
(two very different things).