Old July 15th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX

Default FAA Soaring Forecasts being eliminated?

"Sec. 91.103

Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight,
become familiar with all available information concerning
that flight."

I believe NWS office soaring forecasts have for some time been created
"officially" at the request of FAA for use in FSS briefings. There has
never been a formal requirement coming from FAA (or FSS) other than a
simple memo between local NWS and FSS offices. What I'm trying to say
here is this. NWS cannot unilaterally create specialized forecasts for
a unique group like soaring pilots. It is only the FAA that sets the
requirements for aviation forecasts that NWS delivers. Now... if FAA
decided to include the parameters that we see in soaring forecasts as
necessary to meet FAR 91.103...then NWS (probably the Aviation Weather
Center) could create a suite of soaring forecast products similar to
what Drl Jack has created. Germany and other countries provide such
services (although for a fee).

I don't know how Dr Jack would feel about having the government take
over his domain of service. He has invested an enormous amount of time
and technical skill in putting together a very professional and
complete soaring product service. My NWS soaring forecast product at
the NWS Hanford, CA web site also took a lot of time to create... but
doesn't hold a candle to what Dr Jack created. If the government were
to have created this... it would have used a lot of financial
resources.

As you all know... or should know... powers in Washington are pushing
for user fees in both general and business aviation. If we (SSA) were
to request that the government provide us with a complete soaring
forecast service it would add justification for charging soaring and
other pilots users fees. On the other hand if we support the private
sector (or generous volunteers like Dr Jack) we (the U.S. soaring
community) can probably do a better job of it for less money.

There is one caveat. With the increased interest and use of UAVs
(essentially unmanned gliders), perhaps their is a legitimate need to
forecast soaring parameters (height of convective layer; turbulence
intensity, CU/CB bases, boundary layer winds) for this segment of
aviation. Those forecasts would be in support of the nations security
and a new industry of air commerce. Government provide services might
then be justified.

If you are wondering what my oppinion is on who should create soaring
weather forecasts (government or private sector)... keep wondering

My oppinions are all my own and do not reflect the oppinions and policy
of my employer.

Walt, WX