Old December 17th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Service Ceiling L23 - Litigation

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:11:08 AM UTC-5, Haven wrote:
I didn't see any discussion of service ceiling. Back ~'98 I had a great ride in a two-place Grob 103 at Driggs, where we made a couple of circuits around the Grand Teton waving at the mountain climbers. Can't remember how high we were upon release or much more detail of the flight. The G103 and L23 have similar performance figures but it is all dependent on the skill and judgment of the pilot. Absent evidence of structural or flight controls/surfaces failure we are left with pilot error as the cause of the accident.
On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 7:06:26 PM UTC-8, wrote:
After reading the article I retrieved my copy of the L23 flight manual. Where does it say you can't fly it higher than 12,805 feet? There are VNE reductions calculated up to 35,000, but nowhere in it can I find a service ceiling limitation as the plaintiff seems to suggest there are.

Did I miss something?

Note:I am aware of the differences between flight test for certification and the extrapolation used to prepare the manual.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...249be5d1c.html

Maybe they didn't have oxygen on that flight?
RO