Old May 11th 21, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_7_]

Default Blinking ICOM charger light

On 11/05/2021 15:39, jp wrote:
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 1:55:10 AM UTC-7, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
On 11/05/2021 00:43, jp wrote:
The light on my ICOM A14 charger was blinking orange/green and the charger was not charging the battery.

I took the battery off the radio, used a pencil eraser to clean the electrical contacts on the battery - they looked fine to me by the way - and now the charger light no longer blinks and it charges the battery.

By the way, I had looked in the A14 manual for info on this blinking light and found no reference to it.

Hi Jim,

Assuming you are using BC-179 charger, there is a reference to blinking
orange/green in chapter 7 of the manual, "Orange or green (blink):The
battery pack or the charger has a problem". Maybe you have a different
manual? PM me if you need a copy of my manual.

Incidentally, using a pencil eraser to clean contacts is depreciated. It
often leaves residue which insulates.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

It is the BC-179 charger. It came in the box with the A14 radio. I don't think a manual for the
charger was included in the box. All seems to working now, fortunately.

I have a spray cleaner for electrical contacts but it seemed like overkill for the contacts
on the battery. After using the eraser on the contacts I did check that no eraser bits remained.
I hope that was ok. The battery is now charged up and the radio is working fine.

Thank you for your help.

Jim

No. It is in the A14 manual, quote:
• Charging indicator color information
Orange: While charging
Green: When charging is completed
Orange or green (blink): The battery pack or the charger has a problem.

it also says:
Be sure to turn OFF the transceiver power, when charging
the battery pack along with the transceiver.

P.S. Not only does IPA Cleaner clean contacts, but it kill SARS-CoV2.