View Single Post
Old May 16th 21, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Bures
external usenet poster

Default Log Book - Yawn!

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 1:10:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 11:52:27 AM UTC-6, Jeff Bures wrote:
For SCUBA I use my the paper log book for planning and recording details on-site before/after my dive. It is the 'permanent log' that I keep. At the end of my day or week, I upload my dive data (similar to IGC file from dive computer) to my digital log book and fill in details and notes. They both co-exist nicely together.

I was always under the impression that our paper log book was a 'legal document', containing necessary and required information.

I ask all this out of curiosity:

Do people not keep paper flight logs anymore?
What about students? Don't they need to record training notes, solo endorsements, etc?
What about a legal record of flight hours (in type, model, location, etc)? Do insurance companies, FAA, and commercial operations just trust us? They never say 'show me your log book'?
What about proof of BFR and other endorsements (like motorglider)?
Is IGC flight logging ubiquitous? Or just among rec.aviation.soaring participants?

Anyway, back to my original question. If you were to have a paper log book, what other pages might it include? What details on the 'flight log page' have I forgotten or be handy to add?

One of the thinks I've considered doing is to write important numbers/info on the front inside cover of my SSA log book, like important speed numbers for the different gliders I fly:

SGS 2-33 stall speed single place, best L/D single place, Vne
stall speed double place, best L/D double place
Grob 103 stall speed single place, best L/D single place, Vne
stall speed double place, best L/D double place
etc.

If you had a page that had something like that, I'd use it. Nice to have a quick reference you can look at before flying, without having to go through the POH to find and look it up each time you fly a different glider. This obviously would be more handy for those flying in a club environment where they weren't always flying their own glider all the time, but multiple different gliders.

Hi John,

I used to do the same thing! Thanks for the suggestion.

I had already added a blank table with columns for airplane make/model, best L/D & speed, min sink rate & speed, stall speed, and tow speed. I didn't include Vne, not thinking that it changed with gross weight (number of occupants).

Version 1.0 is already released and should be online for sale soon! For V1..1, I'll see if there is space to add Vne to the table. I can incorporate and any other suggestions at that time.

Cheers!

OH! As a side note. If anyone wants to donate pictures or request special content, I can easily make multiple cover versions. "Dogbert Soaring Club of Elbonia" is totally doable, we just have to copyright permission. No minimum order necessary. No commitment.