Old December 5th 03, 08:32 PM
Borislav Deianov

RD wrote:

Can someone give me an opinion on what type of GPS unit is good
enough for me. I'm a GA pilot, very low time, looking for a decent
GPS to take along for some X/C flying in the rentals. Just need to
see highways and cities etc. I'm not very worried about airspace as
there isn't much around my local airport and the charts do a good
enough job.

Consider the Magellan 315. It's a hiker's unit with limited map
functionality - it can display waypoints, "points of interest", your
route and your track but cannot display highways, airspace, terrain,
etc. Out of the box, it comes with all the cities, but there's a free
third-party aviation database with all US airports, VORs, NDBs,
etc. You can pick one up from eBay for around $100-$150. Make sure to
get the DataSend CD and PC data cable so you can upload the aviation
database.

http://home.stny.rr.com/bkw/315/

Wishes,
Boris