Old February 9th 05, 10:47 AM
Falky foo

Default faa home study graduation certificate

Hi, thinking of getting my private license. Looking to do ground school
entirely at home, as I already am pretty familiar with most of the concepts
covered by the FAA written test. FAA Rules say one can take the test with:

e. A certificate of graduation from an aviation home study
course developed by the aeronautical enterprise providing
the study material. The certificate of graduation must
correspond to the FAA written test for the certificate or rating
sought. The aeronautical enterprise providing the course of
study must also supply a comprehensive written test which can be
scored as evidence that the student has completed the course of
study. When the student satisfactorily completes the written
test, it is sent to the course provider for scoring by an FAA
certificated ground or flight instructor. The instructor
evaluates the test and attests to the student's knowledge of the
subjects presented in the course. Upon satisfactory completion,
a graduation certificate is sent to the student.

I've been looking at Sporty's home study thing. Does anybody know if they
do the CFI signoff/ graduation certificate themselves? That is, does their
(or anybody's) home study course include a written test which you either
send electronically, or by mail, or (best) is automatically graded and
"signed" by the computer when you complete the test? I'm trying to avoid
giving a CFI $70 so that he can spend 15 seconds looking at my answers and
signing off on the test (sorry CFIs).

I've looked far and wide, and all the home study stuff is very coy about
whether you can use their "certificates of graduation" to satisfy the above
FAA rule.

Thanks very much!