Old December 30th 14, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
TZ

Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

On Tuesday, September 25, 2001 4:07:20 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey wrote:
I am an alumnus of Sky Life Flying Camp in Northville, New York. I attended
in the summer of 1986, and had a really good time there. I was about a
month shy of my 16th birthday, so although my instructor, Jay Treat III,
told me he thought I was ready, I could not solo after my 10 hours of dual
time there.

At the time, I was instructed in N2733U. I was informed that 33U was the
Cessna 172 that had soloed the most student pilots in the world, and
arrangements were being made to have it placed on display in the National
Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. It was quite an old plane, I'm
sure at least a decade older than I am, and even had manual flaps!
(something I've never seen in another plane)

In 1996, I heard a nasty rumor about the demise of the camp, and I have not
been able to find out if it is extant or defunct. I also know nothing of
the whereabouts or condition of N2733U.

I would appreciate any information anyone can provide about Lee Barnes, Jay
Treat III, Sky Life Flying Camp, or N2733U. Email

Thank you!

---Jeffrey

"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky."

I'm amazed this post has lasted as long as it has. It started in 2001 and is still going in 2014. I was a member of the Sky-Life Flying Club in the mid-late 1970's. I soloed at 16, got my private ticket at 17 and was a victim of Lee Barnes' pedophilia. The camp, in my view, was a great concept gone terribly wrong by a very sick man. I spent 2 weeks at the camp one summer, then returned for another summer as a sailing instructor. I made several weekend trips to the camp during the school year, each time wanting to go for the flying and wanting to stay away for what happened in the off hours. Lee was a sick, manipulative man who took full advantage of his position as lord and master over dozens of teens who idolized him for his ability to give us our pilot's license. 40 years later I'm amazed he basically got away with it all. He messed with my mind, affected the course of my life.. Fortunately I got help and sorted it all out and have a wonderful life. I hope others who fell victim to his perversions have been equally successful in getting themselves on a good path. Although I haven't flown in years, I still value what I learned at Sky-Life. That's what made it all so confusing. I learned valuable lessons at the same time I was subject to unthinkable abuse. I've reconciled the experience I had and moved on. I hope others are as fortunate. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I hope others who had similar experiences and find this post can obtain some resolution knowing they are not alone.