Old November 2nd 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Default Flags of Our Fathers

Was at my grandmother's not long ago and her sister mentioned at some point
that she had dated one of the guys that raised the flag before he enlisted.
(Can't remember his name offhand, but I intend to find out to see what
happened to him.)

She said they didn't really get too serious because she was a little younger
than he and they knew he was going to war, and but that they stayed in touch
for awhile during the war. Then, she said, "never heard anything more from
him." I didn't have the heart to potentially spoil the dinner by pointing
out the obvious; nor did I say any of the other thoughts that came to mind.
Just, "Wow. No matter what, he will always be a hero among Marines."

They're going to see the movie this weekend, however, (grandma's youngest
grandson is an active duty Marine) but I don't think she's going to like it
much. -c

"pgbnh" wrote in message

Have not yet seen the movie, but do yourself a favor and read the book
also (just finished it). I am most curious to see if the movie paints the
event itself (flag raising), the lives of the flag raisers (before and
after), and the battle in the same say as the book. Frankly, the picture
that I used to have of the flag raising (and the individuals raising it)
is now markedly different than before I read the book.