Old February 21st 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default That "no-GUMP" Scratching Sound

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
ps.com...
I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-7951.html

Enjoy, err, I mean cringe!

Marco

I've heard that sound in person, at an airshow, no less.

SnF in 2002 a Mooney bellied in while we were watching arrivals. There was
a big x-wind that day and lots of pilots were having difficulty managing it.
My guess was that the pilot got all wrapped up in the Airshow arrival NOTAM
and in dealing with the x-wind and forgot his pre-landing checklist.

I was surprised at two things. First, it wasn't *that* loud. Second, the
airplane seemed to slide forever.

They came out with a crane, lifted the airplane, dropped the gear, and towed
the airplane to the campground. The pilot was a very good sport about it.
While the airplane was towed away, he rode on the wingwalk and waved at
everyone standing along the flightline.

I couldn't have done that...

KB