Old May 10th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default Glider pilot and ME 163 Komet Pilot Rudy Opitz Has Died

On May 10, 6:53*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Sad news,

I just learned from avweb.com that glider pilot and ME 163 rocket test pilot
Rudy Opitz has died. *He was a remarkable man.

He also flew a Horton flying wing glider to victory in a U.S. soaring
contest many years ago. *I had the pleasure of meeting him after a talk he
gave at an SSA Convention many (15?) years ago.

He was also a part of the team of glider pilots that flew the very
successful attack on the Fort Eban-Emael castle during WW II. *I believe it
was the first time gliders were used for a military attack. *He describes
the attack in the interesting "Silent Wings" video:http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/videos.htm#SilentWings.

He certainly lived a full and interesting life!

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#202518

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ctp...=paul-rudolf-o....

A life well lived Rudy!

Paul Remde

Rudy was an extremely talented aviator and a truly wonderful
gentleman. Over his 99 years he lived a very full life and was a great
contributor to our sport.

Condolences