Old May 10th 04, 10:38 PM
Maule Driver

I spent a week camping with a 17 year emergence. The occasion was flying in
a glider race.

Glider pilots actually estimate bug smashes, we have settings in our
computers for them. At a 5 day race, we clean all the bugs off 5 times.

I can't remember seeing a single Cicada smash. Oh, we nailed a circling
buzzard and there were plenty of bugs to hit at all altitudes but no Cicadas

Main risk was a good night's sleep and hearing people scream the first time
they see one of those red eyed monsters.

I'd love to be on a trout stream when those 17 year monsters hatch... But I
don't think the trout would know what to make of them.

"Peter R." wrote in message
As a relatively newly-certificated pilot (two years ago), I am curious
about the upcoming emergence of the seventeen-year cicada in the northeast
and midwest US later this May.

Are there any hazards to aircraft associated with these insects, either on
the ground or in the air?

--
Peter