Old January 9th 05, 01:43 AM
Jim Kelly

A very interesting chart Paul. Thanks for your work on this.

Just a small thing - your comments on the Borgelt B50 would
be more accurate if you added 'Pro' to make it 'WinPilot Pro'.

According to the WinPilot web site, WinPilot Pro **requires**
one of the following electronic varios:

a.. Cambridge 302 vario/flight recorder,
b.. LX 5000, LX 160, LX7000, LX1600
c.. Westerboer VW921/922
d.. or a Borgelt B50 (and a gps-unit)

Appropriate comments could be added to all of these on your
chart.

These electronic varios enable several desirable features that
are only available in the 'Pro' version of WinPilot, and hence
(sadly) are only available to the WinPilot owner when one of
these expensive varios is fitted to the glider. EG:

* See the traced history of lift and sink behind the glider -
climb/sink values are depicted using coloured circles - using
filtered data from the vario. The stronger the lift or sink, the
larger the circular 'blobs'.

* The Climb Maximizer shows where to move the glider to
maximize climb rate & provides an audible signal when the
glider approaches the direction of the desired move.

* Wind strength and direction is calculated whilst cruising
(as well as in thermal flight).

* 'Speed To Fly' at different MacCready settings calculated
and displayed with a 'push/pull' indicator.

* A diagram of average climb strength in the current thermal
appears when thermalling (changes back to the map view in
straight flight).

* The average lift in the current thermal can be displayed
with greater accuracy. Also the average lift in all thermals
(can be reset at any time).

This may be important info to those folks about to invest in a
vario.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Ref:
http://www.winpilot.com/gps.asp
http://www.winpilot.com/Beta.asp

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just updated my Vario Comparison web page with data on the
new LX16
Audio Vario with Averager and flight time display. We don't have
a lot of
data on the new vario yet, but they will be arriving very soon.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/varios.htm

I also added Borgelt products to the comparison.

Please let me know if you can help me fill in any of the missing
data in the
table.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde