Old January 16th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Las Vegas, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley trip report

Awesome trip, Ron! And great pix -- thanks for sharing them.

We've flown out that way several times in Atlas, and once with this group's
own Jim Burns, and I'm always struck by the total desolation of that part of
the country. Iowa may not have a lot of people in it, but it is totally
developed from border to border, with most of it under cultivation. The
states of the desert Southwest are just...empty. And beautiful.

The trip back to Henderson was uneventful except that I made a mistake
talking to approach control. The guy I got was not helpful and only
leads me to blow off contacting ATC to contribute to safe and orderly
traffic flow. In fact, if I have to do it again in that area...maybe
everywhere...I will just fly according to all approved and accepted
VFR rules and not talk to ATC. It may have the effect of causing
airliners to divert around me but when ATC wants to be rude and
unhelpful to a GA pilot, I will quit playing nice.

Care to flesh that out? I've never run across an approach controller so bad
that he made me want to stop using Flight Following! In the Midwest,
anyway, they're usually quite cordial and helpful.

Vegas was Vegas. It is not going to be a frequent repeat destination.

Agree. I really, really like Vegas -- for about four days. After that, the
place just grates on my nerves.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA