Old July 31st 05, 10:19 PM

USA wrote:
: Hello everyone, I finally installed an EDM700 on my '68 235C. What a big
: change in the way I operate now.

: Can I get some feedback from you O-540 drivers on what you have seen
: as "normal" in EGT & CHT? I am specifically interested in knowing
: about those at your run-up, on climb out, at cruise, and at what altitudes.

: Also, please tell me if you fly according to the power setting chart in
: the POH.

For the most part, conventional wisdom is that absolute EGT isn't really
comparable between engines/airframe combinations. It's most useful as a *relative*
measure for your own craft. I'm assuming that you're talking of a 235 HP O-540 which
is low-compression. The compression ratio will affect the EGT by a significant margin
(CHT not quite as much). You didn't say which type of CHT gauge you have... the spark
plug types read 50-75 degrees hotter than the "official" bayonet style.

All important details that make a difference.

For the record, my O-360 high-compression (your engine with high-compression and fewer
jugs) in my effective PA28-180C are as follows (with spark-plug CHT probes)

EGT: Climbout full-rich at 1400. I'll lean to that in a long climb.
Cruise (65%) 1600-1650 leaned to peak. Over 65% it's 50 degrees rich of that.
CHT: Takeoff 250. I'll not pour the coals to it until it's over.
Climb 400-425 even in a long climb. That's the spark-plug type so it's
"officially" 350-375
Cruise 400.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *