Old February 1st 04, 03:23 PM
Andrew Sarangan

I am quite familiar with the situation you are describing. I used to
encounter it all the time in New Mexico. But I do not believe that
such flights were loggable instrument flights. If you are flying
solely by reference to instruments who is keeping you separated from
other aircraft? I agree that those flights require greater use of
instruments than a normal VFR flight, but I don't see how it qualifies
as sole reference to instruments. Sole implies 100% use of instruments
without any outside visuals.

"sn" wrote in message ...
I believe the requirement for logging the time is conditional upon the
following phrase. "...maneuvering the aircraft solely by reference to
instruments..." If you have ever had an experience flying over water or in
the mountains with a high overcast, moonless night, there might be a
reported visibility from stations of 50 miles. Trust me, your maneuvering
soley by reference to your instruments, and every bit of it is loggable as
actual.
"Peter R." wrote in message
Gary Drescher ) wrote:

Seeing the ground doesn't necessarily mean you're operating the aircraft

by
reference to the ground at all. You could fly an approach with

visibility
of, say, 0.5 sm (and therefore be solidly in IMC), and still see be able

the ground the whole time. But you wouldn't necessarily be using that

view
to aviate or navigate.

I agree. Last week I was practicing approaches in moderate lake effect
snow where the RVR fluctuated between 1800 and 5000, yet I could see the
ground directly below the aircraft.

Not sure how seeing the ground below is relevant to logging an approach,
unless, of course, I am flying in that direction.

--
Peter

News==----

Newsgroups